As the holiday season fast approaches, it is important to keep in mind that our teeth and gums will continue to need added protection from the dangers of tasty treats and delectable drinks. Sugarless gum is great for keeping your teeth free and clear from any debris that may hang around, and it’s uncanny ability to assist in the creation of saliva. However, brushing and flossing should not be abandoned either, as sugarless gum is not to be looked at as a viable substitute. Below are some advantages to sugarless gum:
– Be sure to choose sugarless chewing gum that has been awarded the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Sugarless gum increases saliva flow, which washes away food and other debris. Saliva also neutralizes acids originating from harmful bacteria and can provide disease-fighting substances to combat threats with the mouth.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can fight cavities. The chewing gum itself doesn’t fight cavities, but the act of chewing increases saliva flow.
– Sugarless gum can also prevent heartburn. This is beneficial because the acids in your esophagus can damage your teeth.
– Sugarless gum helps after meals, but it is not a substitute for brushing and flossing.
Sugarless gum should not be used if you experience any tooth sensitivity or jaw pain. If you would like more information, or if you would like to make an appointment with Dr. David Powell, please contact our fantastic staff here at All Care Dentistry by calling us at 801-266-1414. You can also stop by our dentist office in Murray, Utah. We look forward to helping you begin the holidays with a smile!