What to Do with Lost Dental Work

Posted .

Our dentist, Dr. David Powell will make sure that your filling or crown fits you well. However, you can still lose a crown or a filling through an impact to your face or jaw, or if you do not follow a proper oral hygiene regimen. And fillings and crowns do need to be replaced over time.

If you lose a filling or crown, you may experience some pain, and you should contact the dentist right away. Aside from the pain, the interior of your tooth will be exposed without the filling, and the dentin will be exposed without the crown.

If you can locate the crown and easily slip it back over the tooth, you may be able to hold it in place with dental cement. You can use a temporary filling material available in drug and grocery stores to replace a lost filling. If you are experiencing pain, you might try an over-the-counter pain reliever, or apply clove oil to the tooth. The dentist can replace the crown or filling at an office visit, and you should not wait too long to make your appointment. Aside from the pain, your tooth may be vulnerable to an infection.

If you have lost a filling or crown or if you have one that is coming loose, you can make an appointment at All Care Dentistry in Murray, Utah. Just call 801-266-1414 and we will get you in as soon as we can.