The Pro’s of In-Office, Same Day Crowns
Posted by Dr. Powell on Mar 17 2021, 07:52 AM
Dental Crowns helps to protect or restore worn down or weakened tooth. Crowns help to improve the appearance of missing or infected teeth. Same-day crowns, also known as CEREC crowns, are just like conventional dental crowns that can be made in 2 hours using a ceramic material, unlike traditional crowns that need two weeks to be made.
For CEREC crowns, the dentist takes an impression of the teeth digitally. In contrast, a conventional crown impression is taken using a paste-like material and is sent to the lab to be custom-made. The finished product is then sent to the dentist’s office.
Pros of Same-Day Crowns or CEREC crowns
Even beyond the shortened timeline, Same Day Crowns have many advantages. Some of them are as follows:
- Immediate restoration of the teeth –The normal tooth functions like talking or eating remain unaffected. In conventional crowns, a specific diet needs to be followed, and be extra careful to prevent the temporary crowns from falling before getting a permanent one.
- Lifelike appearance – Same-day crowns are created using CAD/CAM system, a highly efficient digital system equipped to capture the finest details of teeth and create almost similar-looking teeth giving it a lifelike appearance.
- Prevents injury –As temporary crowns in the traditional crown process are less likely to fit properly, the chances of getting an injury are more. CEREC crowns provide the best fitting crown in one day’s visit.
- Quicker turnaround –Reduces the number of dental clinic visits and time to get a permanent crown. CEREC crown provides an opportunity to get a permanent crown in just one appointment.
- Money Saver –The dental crown costs almost the same as traditional and CEREC crowns, but the lesser number of visits for same-day crowns saves you some money. Also, you don’t need to get temporary crowns; you can cut down some money there too.
- More Comfortable –Since CEREC crowns are made of ceramic, it provides better or perfect fit than traditional crowns made with metals and resins. Wearing a temporary crown for few days is also uncomfortable. Thus, CEREC crowns are more comfortable.
- Prevents decay – Crowns are placed for protection of the natural tooth from decay. In same-day crowns, temporary crowns are not needed, which are not that efficient to prevent decay-causing room for infection. CEREC crowns are an immediate fix to prevent decay.
Same-day crowns are the perfect immediate solution for people with hectic schedules and who do not want to have frequent visits to the dental clinic.