Crowns are dental restorations that are hollow on the inside and look exactly like natural teeth on the outside. They are mostly made from tooth-colored, dental-grade ceramic material that offers excellent properties and mimics the enamel in many ways. Crowns are highly versatile restorations as they are used for multiple purposes such as restoring broken, cracked, chipped, misshapen, excessively spaced, worn out, or weak teeth.
What makes crowns highly preferred?
- Crowns are highly durable as they are made from dental-grade ceramic. With regular oral activities like biting and chewing food, they would hardly wear - much like natural enamel.
- The dentist uses photographic and digital scans’ data to personalize the crown as required. This keeps it under disguise, as it can’t be distinguished from the adjoining natural teeth.
- Crowns can be fabricated and placed on the teeth quite easily. In our office, we can design and place your crown in a single visit without the need of a temporary or a second appointment.
- Crowns hold a damaged or worn out tooth intact and prevent further damage to its structure.
- They restore oral functionality and enable the patient to chew food, smile, talk, and carry out routine oral activities without any trouble.
How are crowns placed?
If you have got dental restorations done in the past, you would have a good idea of the tedious procedure involved. The dentist would take a mold of your tooth using a gooey substance which you would have to bite into. Until the restoration was fabricated, which would take at least a couple of weeks, the dentist would place a temporary restoration on your tooth to protect the prepared surface. Ultimately, the restoration bonded to your tooth may not be of great fit and comfort due to the conventional fabrication methods involved.
Same-day crowns is the advanced method of fabrication dental restorations using a computerized scanning and milling method. The process uses CAD/CAM technology, where a computer-guided machine mills out the restoration from a small block of ceramic. It would offer excellent precision and fit, making the restorations extremely comfortable and long-lasting.
What are the advantages of choosing Same-Day Crowns?
- Scanning the teeth to create a digital impression can be done effortlessly in a matter of a couple of minutes. In the conventional method, this would be done using a putty-like substance, which wouldn't offer the exact contour and size of the tooth. But, with CAD/CAM technology, it can be done with maximum precision.
- The entire procedure can be completed in just a single appointment. The dentist will scan the teeth, share the data with the CAD/CAM machine, which would mill the restoration in a matter of a few minutes. They can be bonded to the teeth on the same day, thereby significantly reducing the chair time and the healing period involved.
- Multiple types of restorations can be fabricated using CEREC, such as crowns, veneers, bridges, inlays, onlays, etc.
- The precision offered by same-day crown technology is unmatchable by conventional methods. Once the restorations are retrieved from the machine, they wouldn't require significant modifications to be made to their contour.
- The restorations offered by this method are of excellent quality. They last for several years with good care and are often highly resistant to staining and wear.
Please schedule your same-day crown with Dr. Powell by calling us or reaching us through an online query, and we'll be happy to guide you further.